Monday, July 10, 2017

FairyLoot June Box Review!

Hello! I'm returning this week with a review of FairyLoot's June box! This is the first FairyLoot box I've received, and I'm excited to share it with you.

Before we being, maybe I should explain what FairyLoot is. FairyLoot is a YA subscription box (similar to OwlCrate, another book subscription box I reviewed back in September). FairyLoot is a little different because it focuses on fantasy books (rather than all YA genres). That said, they'll occasionally include a book with a science fiction feel. If you are interested in checking out FairyLoot's website, here's the link.

I'm trying to become a little better at photography (my goal is to one day is to have more of my own photos on this blog, rather than just taking the occasional book cover off of Goodreads), so I took my Fairyloot box and camera outside to a garden in order to photograph the goodies I got in my box. I'm proud with how (most of) the pictures turned out, and I hope you enjoy seeing the items up close!



Here's the FairyLoot box! FairyLoot ships worldwide from the United Kingdom, and my box got a little damaged in the mail. You can see the dent in the box above. Luckily, none of the items inside the box were harmed.


(You can see the damage from the shipping on the box in this picture, too.)

One of my favorite things about subscription boxes is how cute the boxes themselves are! FairyLoot boxes have a lot of cool little details that make the box feel extra-special. My two favorite touches are the quote written on the box (which states "Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten") and the story written on the interior of the box. If you look close enough, you can see the writing on the inside of the lid.


Like OwlCrate, every FairyLoot box has a theme. June's theme was "Elementalist." Above is the spoiler card featuring artwork based on the theme. You can also see the writing on the inside of the box that I was talking about earlier.

The back of the spoiler card explains what the box contains and why FairyLoot decided to include it. The explanations on the card did an excellent job describing the inspiration behind each item, and I liked how that gave the items context and it helped all the items in the the box fit together under the theme's umbrella.

 

The biggest item in the box was the pillowcase designed by Miss Phi. I absolutely love the design (the colors are even prettier in real life!), and I ran out and bought a pillow for it as soon as it arrived. The quote on the pillow makes it a perfect addition to my reading chair.

I had a really hard time getting a decent (let alone good) picture of it, so forgive me! I'm still learning.


FairyLoot also included potion sticky notes. It doesn't say on the packaging (or the spoiler card!) who made them, but I think the little bottles are adorable. I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but I know that they will make my office a little more magical!

According to the spoiler card, the purple is for health, the blue is for magical power or mana, and yellow is for stamina.


The box also included lip balms based off of the different benders in Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'm a huge fan of Avatar, so I was really excited to receive something based off of the television series. Geeky Clean made lip balms for all four elements, and I received the waterbending one.

A few days before I received my FairyLoot box, my family was debating what type of bender I would be. I've always thought of myself as the firebending type, but they agreed that I would be a waterbender. I guess the universe (or maybe just FairyLoot!) agrees.


One of my favorite items included in the box is this bar of soap. Made by Ascent Bath And Body, the soap smells absolutely amazing...which is a good thing because everything from the FairyLoot box smells like it, too!

The bar of soap itself is black and features glitter in it. The triangular shape makes it a little hard to use, but I love it too much to care.

(Fun fact: it took me FOREVER to find a good place to take a picture of the soap.)


I received a bracelet made by In The Moment. The bracelet features a hamsa hand charm next to a shiny bead. According to the spoiler card, the hamsa hand is a protective symbol that brings the owner happiness, health, luck, and good fortune.

The bracelet itself is pretty, but it's probably my least favorite item from the box. Not only is the bracelet not really my style, but I'm also allergic to the metal that was used to make it. I'll probably end up giving it to a friend.


Another one of the cool items included in the box was a handmade vegan candle by Witchwood Remedies. FairyLoot sent out five different candle scents, and each one is based on a different type of magical storm in the book they sent out this month. I received the Firestorm candle.

The candle itself is very pretty, and I love the botanicals and crystals on top of the candle. When I first opened the candle and smelled it, I wasn't a huge fan of the scent. But it's started to grow on me. Maybe the candle just needed to age a little bit?

The candle's scent is hard to explain. It smells a little bit like a campfire with a touch of something else I can't put my finger on.

Here's a picture of the candle from above. You can see the bright red, orange, and yellow toppings.


FairyLoot also included two "extras"--a postcard based off the FROSTBLOOD series and a sample of THE WALKING LAND.


I haven't read FROSTBLOOD before, but this postcard definitely piqued my interest. If you can't read it, the postcard says:

Destroy the throne
Kill the king
Take your revenge

Pretty catchy, huh? 


FairyLoot also included a sample of THE WAKING LAND, which came out in late June. It looks like a really interesting story, so I'm excited to dig into the sample. The cover seen here is the UK edition, and the vines on the cover may have influenced my decision to do garden-y photos for this post. 

Now that I've gone through all the fun items in the box, it's time for the most important thing included in the box...the book!


FairyLoot sends the book in a cute drawstring bag. It has the FairyLoot logo on one side and the words "Happy Reading" on the other.


This month's book was...
ROAR by Cora Carmack!

Inside the drawstring bag, there's the book, a signed bookplate, a FairyLoot bookmark featuring the same artwork as the spoiler card, and a letter from the author. You'll just see the bag, book, and signed bookplate in the picture above.

I haven't read the book yet, but it looks really interesting and I can't wait to start it.


FairyLoot also included a small pamphlet (called FairyScoop) that includes an interview with Cora Carmack, next month's theme, and book recommendations for books similar to ROAR. I thought it made a nice addition to the box, and it was a fun way to get to know the author beyond her bio in the back of the book.

Before I sign off this rather long blog post...


FairyLoot includes a card with a reading buddy number. Two people get the same code, so you can track down the other person on Twitter or Instagram and share your reading experience with him or her.

So...if you received #FairyLoot00257, feel free to email me! I don't have an Instagram or Twitter account, so this is as close as I can get to reaching out to my reading buddy.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of either FairyLoot or OwlCrate. I will have to do some research and put it on my blog. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this post helpful! I love receiving book subscription boxes, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

      Delete

Thanks! I love comments.