Thursday, November 10, 2016

Writing Prompt #3

I hope everyone is having a great day! Here's another writing prompt that (hopefully!) will help you think about your character's interests and personality--and how both of these things can be shown to the reader through the way the character talks and thinks.

(While this prompt applies more to stories told from first person or limited third person, I think it is something that all writers should consider.)

What figurative language does your character use? What idioms? What does this say about your character and how s/he thinks or views the world? 

Here are a few things to consider to get you started:

If your main character's heritage is an important part of how s/he sees the world, how does it present itself in the character's dialogue, POV, and your writing?

What is your character interested in? How does that present itself throughout your novel? (I'm a huge bookworm, and I often find myself quoting books or using references to them in figurative language--and this is just in my head!)

If you are writing a fantasy or science fiction story, consider how how out idioms might have changed to fit your world or if certain sayings don't make sense. (An example might be the saying "bite the bullet," which wouldn't make sense in a fantasy setting where guns haven't been invented.)

I hope this prompt inspires you to take a closer look at what your character might be telling you about his/herself in your writing and how your character will come across to a reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! I love comments.