Monday, August 8, 2016

Camp NaNoWriMo: July 2016


It's always hard for me to dive back into blogging after an extended break. As you may have seen, I posted a list of last names last week. However, I thought that this week I would do something a little more personal and talk a little bit about what I did in July.

Ever since I did NaNoWriMo for the first time in November 2015, I've become a big believer in it. I love the way it pushes you to write and achieve goals you never thought you'd be able to reach. And while I absolutely loved November's NaNoWriMo, I've found that I actually like Camp NaNoWriMo (which takes place in April and July) better.

Camp NaNoWriMo differs from the regular NaNoWriMo in a few ways. First of all, Camp NaNoWriMo allows you to set your own goal. While I went into April's Camp with a goal of only 10K words, I decided to really challenge myself and set a goal of 50K words for July. (Spoiler alert: I reached my July goal!)

Another difference between Camp and the November NaNoWriMo is this: you get sorted into a "cabin" with up to eleven other writers. You can set parameters (such as word count or age) so everyone in the cabin has something in common. I absolutely loved the way cabins worked! I found my cabin mates to be amazingly supportive and helpful.

NaNoWriMo has taught me that I work well under pressure. On the last day of Camp, I ended up writing 16K words in order to hit my 50K goal. For those of you who have never had to write 16K words in a single day...it's hard. But that's the sort of motivational magic that NaNoWriMo brings you.

So will I be doing NaNoWriMo again in November? Of course! But I wouldn't be telling you the whole truth if I didn't say that I'm more excited for April's camp than I am for the "official" NaNoWriMo.

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! I love comments.