Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Review: ASSASSIN'S BLADE

It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm finally getting back into it with Sarah J. Maas' ASSASSIN'S BLADE.

I've done a reviews on the other three books in the THRONE OF GLASS series. This book a collection of five novellas. I usually don't review novellas. However, I thought it would allow readers of the other books to decide if they wanted to invest in this additional book.

Before we begin, I want to let you know that I am going to be slow on email replies for the next few weeks. I will try to continue to blog. Thank you for understanding!


(Source: Goodreads)

All of Sarah's covers are amazing, but I think this one may be my personal favorite. 

I will skip doing my own summary because Goodreads and my review both do a good job summarizing the novellas.

Goodreads says:

Contains all five novellas.

Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.

My review:

This book contains the following stories: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, The Assassin and the Healer, The Assassin and the Desert, The Assassin and the Underworld, and The Assassin and the Empire.

The stories reference each other and line up quite nicely, so you won't feel disjoined when moving from one to the next. My personal favorite is The Assassin and the Desert. Unlike some of the other stories, it had a complete story that introduced and solved a single conflict. The characters in this particular piece are very well done. 

I also enjoyed The Assassin and the Healer. Its tone and purpose is different from the other novellas, but I think that it gives incredible insight on Celaena's character. 

The Assassin and the Underworld and The Assassin and the Empire both feature Sam, who is mentioned in THRONE OF GLASS and throughout the series. From glancing at some of the other Goodreads reviews and listening to other fans, I have learned that Sam is a favorite. I did not fall in love with him the way other fans did, so that may be why I didn't find these novellas as interesting. 

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord was, to be honest, unremarkable. It gave us an introduction to Sam and some of the other assassins, but the story itself felt like it was just there to give us a chance to get to know Sam and his relationship with our heroine. All the same, it is Sarah J. Maas, so I do tend to have expectations that may or may not be fair.

THE ASSASSIN'S BLADE does a great job giving background on some of the things Celaena mentions but never explains in the series. There is one very juicy piece of information hidden in the pages: the identity of the person who betrayed her.

I really enjoyed ASSASSIN'S BLADE and the insight it gave me on Celaena. I recommend reading it after THRONE OF GLASS because it does spoil some of the tension. 

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! I love comments.