Monday, September 21, 2015

MMGM: THE HYPNOTISTS

That's right! I've finally picked up an MG book, and I'm ready to do a review for you. My review is a little short today because I'm still trying to catch up, but hopefully you enjoy it!


My summary:

Twelve-year-old Jax Opus can use his color-changing eyes to hypnotize. Taken under Dr. Elias Mako's wing, Jax expands his already-powerful talent. But how pure are Mako's intentions? And what exactly is Mako planning for Jax's unique powers?

Goodreads says:

An all-new, mesmerizing adventure from the masterful Gordon Korman!

Jackson Opus has always been persuasive, but he doesn't know that he's descended from the two most powerful hypnotist bloodlines on the planet. He's excited to be accepted into a special program at the Sentia Institute -- but when he realizes he's in over his head, Jackson will have to find a way to use his powers to save his friends, his parents, and his government.

My review:

The plot is simple and reminds me of SHIFT by Kim Curran. However, the simplicity doesn't get in the way of making this story interesting! The characters come across as original, but I didn't feel like there was much development. I hope that we will learn more about the characters in future books.

Korman's society of hypnotists is fascinating. I look forward to learning more about the intricacies of their world and how Jax fits into it. After all, he is in a very special situation. More information about how hypnotism works for a variety of different characters would also be great to see in the sequels. 

I'm excited to read the next book in the series and see how the story progresses. 3.5 stars out of 5.

I'll be reviewing THE WINNER'S CURSE next Monday, so check back to learn about a recent YA read!

See other MMGM reviews on Shannon Messenger's website.

5 comments:

  1. I liked the third book in this series the best of the bunch. Always great when a series improves. Korman is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the third book in this series the best of the bunch. Always great when a series improves. Korman is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always enjoyed Korman's writing. This looks to be another interesting tale. I've added it to my list of future reads. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've just reminded me that I need to write my own review of this one. A good, solid middle-grade adventure; Korman has been at this for a while and knows what he's doing. I wasn't sure I was interested enough to get the second book out, but Ms. Yingling has convinced me I should keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like fun. I like Korman's work, swill check this out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I love comments.