Friday, June 19, 2015

Review: THE WRONG SIDE OF RIGHT

Good morning! I hope you're ready for some YA fun. Jenn Marie Thorne's debut novel, THE WRONG SIDE OF RIGHT, is in the spotlight today!


I'm not going to do a summary of THE WRONG SIDE OF RIGHT, but Goodreads has us covered!

Goodreads says:

Fans of Sarah Dessen and Huntley Fitzpatrick will enjoy this smart debut young adult novel, equal parts My Life Next Door and The Princess Diaries—plus a dash of Aaron Sorkin.

Kate Quinn’s mom died last year, leaving Kate parentless and reeling. So when the unexpected shows up in her living room, Kate must confront another reality she never thought possible—or thought of at all. Kate does have a father. He’s a powerful politician. And he’s running for U.S. President. Suddenly, Kate’s moving in with a family she never knew she had, joining a campaign in support of a man she hardly knows, and falling for a rebellious boy who may not have the purest motives. This is Kate’s new life. But who is Kate? When what she truly believes flies in the face of the campaign’s talking points, she must decide. Does she turn to the family she barely knows, the boy she knows but doesn’t necessarily trust, or face a third, even scarier option?

Set against a backdrop of politics, family, and first love, this is a story of personal responsibility, complicated romance, and trying to discover who you are even as everyone tells you who you should be.


My review:

I really enjoyed THE WRONG SIDE OF RIGHT. The journey felt real, even though Kate's situation is a little outlandish. I ended the book wanting more of Kate's story; it's so well-written and enjoyable that I didn't want it to end!

Kate is such an awesome character. While she is independent, strong, and quirky, Kate also foes through powerlessness. I can see some readers labeling her as whiney or useless, but I found that she is neither. Rather, she is human, and her humanity is what made her stand out as a richly created character.

I loved the plot. It moves quickly, and there always seems to be something happening. The fast pace kept me engaged. I felt like it also made me feel like I was experiencing the hectic campaign with Kate.

I enjoyed the romance, but it was also a little outlandish. I don't want to spoil anything, but I did find it to add to the story. Sometimes romance can get in the way of the plot, but Thorne allowed no such thing to happen in THE WRONG SIDE OF RIGHT.

If you are willing to overlook the outlandish features of this book, you will find it to be absolutely stunning. THE WRONG SIDE OF RIGHT is a wonderful story.

I really want to give it five stars, but because of the nature of the story, I'm going to go with 4.8 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! I love comments.