Monday, June 1, 2015

Review: MESSENGER OF FEAR

Good morning to my fellow early birds! I have a book I'd like to share with you.


This wonderful book is by Michael Grant.

I got MESSENGER OF FEAR from the library, so I no longer have it with me. Therefore, I do not feel like I should write a summary. However, Goodreads has something to tell us...

I remembered my name – Mara. But, standing in that ghostly place, faced with the solemn young man in the black coat with silver skulls for buttons, I could recall nothing else about myself.

And then the games began.

The Messenger sees the darkness in young hearts, and the damage it inflicts upon the world. If they go unpunished, he offers the wicked a game. Win, and they can go free. Lose, and they will live out their greatest fear. 

But what does any of this have to do with Mara? She is about to find out. 


My thoughts:

Like I AM NUMBER FOUR, I picked up this book because the storyline intrigued me. It was spooky but not overly so, and I loved what I had learned about the Messenger from the inside flap.

The plot did take a different path than I expected, but I still enjoyed it. I didn't actually predict the ending, although it does seem a little obvious when I think back. All the same, the ending was very interesting, and I think it added to Mara's character quite a bit.

There is a lot of imagery, which I liked. It added to the sense that Mara wasn't human and she was seeing everything differently.

It did, however, lack that extra layer of emotion that makes a good book magical. I saw the scenes as I read them, but I didn't feel like I was a part of them.

The writing style felt a little odd at some points, but I found it consistent. I personally consider an inconsistent writing voice the stuff of nightmares, so I was very glad that Grant didn't wander from the voice he set in the beginning.

Near the end of the book, I got a small peak at the force behind all of the supernatural characters. I felt that there is enough to understand the story, but my own curiosity wanted more. It might be explained in future books when the plot calls for increased explanation.

MESSENGER OF FEAR is a great book, but it isn't extraordinary. If it sounds interesting, I would definitely pick it up, but if it doesn't intrigue you, there are other books that might be a better choice.

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! I love comments.