Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Review: THRONE OF GLASS

I would like to introduce you (or share my take) on a book that I recently reread and loved! More on that story later.

There are two different covers. The original US cover:



I was told that the "new" cover was originally the UK cover, but they decided to bring it over to the States. I personally like this cover a little bit more.


I tend to forget to name the author in my posts, but the lovely author of THRONE OF GLASS is Sarah Maas! 

I plan to usually do my own summary of the book, but today I'm a tad short on time. However, we have Goodreads here to give us their summary!

Goodreads tell us:

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilarating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another.

Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.
 

My review:

I learned about THRONE OF GLASS in a different way than I usually learn about books. I was visiting my local independent bookstore, and Sarah Maas, the author, was there signing stock. At that point, I was pretty oblivious to the THRONE OF GLASS books. But even so, Sarah sat and talked to me for about half an hour.

She was SO NICE. Even though I'm sure she had things to do (like signing books), she gave me her undivided attention. And her book sounded cool so I grabbed a copy of THRONE OF GLASS.

I was very busy when I read it the first time, so I wasn't really focused on the story. I came away thinking it was good but not awesome.

The other day, I decided to reread it. This time I was able to give it my full attention.

And...the difference.

I didn't just enjoy it this time; I worshipped it. I was addicted.

Now, you may wonder, what made it so good?

For starters, the plot was rich. It was full of twists and turns, and I found myself on the edge of my seat.

The writing style was very good as well. It isn't quite as addicting as THE TESTING, but it comes close. As I write this review and thumb through the book, I find myself having to tear my eyes away from the pages.

The major characters, especially Celaena, were very well developed. I found Celaena to be a very three-dimensional person, and I loved that she wasn't your cookie-cutter assassin. She was flawed and broken, just like a real person would be if they had experienced what she had. Often authors will gloss over trauma and flaws, but Sarah put it display wonderfully.

In retrospect, the very minor characters did not have a lot of development, but I found it didn't hinder the story in any way. In fact, the book is very complicated, so I think it may have had a positive impact on the story. If Sarah attempted to develop those minor characters, it would have muddied the story and made it confusing.

I would recommend it to fans of those kingdom settings. Although I can't think of a book that's really similar to it right now, I would recommend it to fans of GRACELING and SERAPHINA.

4.5 stars out of 5.

I will be reviewing CROWN OF MIDNIGHT, the second book in the THRONE OF GLASS series, on May 4th. I hope you'll join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! I love comments.