Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Confessions of Library-Hating (It's not as bad as it sounds!)


You may remember that I moved a while back. Luckily, I am still relatively close to my old area. However, I am far enough away that it isn't convenient to visit. 

I am not proud to admit it, but I dislike change terribly. In fact, I think I could go so far as to say that I hate it. Unfortunately, I allowed that anger to stop me from enjoying my new area. 

As you may expect, I had my favorite bookstores and a local library I loved. I knew those buildings better than my own house, and one of the most difficult parts of moving was knowing that I would be leaving them.

I must admit that it does sound laughable. Of everything I was losing, the library and bookstores were the most saddening. But I am a bookworm by nature, so I suppose it was not too outlandish.

The first time I visited my new local library, I returned home close to tears. Not only was it half the size of the my old library, but a good portion of the space was taken up by picture books. Although I don't inherently hate picture books, it was disappointing to see them taking up so much space when the MG and YA sections were tiny. The confusing online catalogue did nothing to quell my frustration.

Instead of overlooking the flaws, I allowed them to overwhelm me. I stopped visiting the library and avoided borrowing books. I didn’t want to have anything to do with it. Why? Because it wasn’t my library.

I can’t claim to be wealthy, and hardcover books do cost quite a bit of money. As I didn’t have the funds to purchase the books I wanted to read and wouldn’t dare try to get them from the library, I went without. I missed out on far too many books because I couldn’t accept my new library was different from my old one.

So how did I change my mind? How did I come to the conclusion that I was wrong?

I wanted CROWN OF MIDNIGHT. I owned and read THONE OF GLASS, and I was ready for the next book. But all three bookstores I checked did not have it in stock. 

So I took a deep breath and turned to the library.

When I entered that library three days ago, I did so in the foulest of moods. I was certian I would be disappointed and would regret walking through those double front doors the moment I stepped foot inside.

But I didn’t.

It wasn’t as bad as I remembered. Yes, the shelves were a little unorganized. Maybe the selection was small. But they had not only CROWN OF MIDNIGHT, but HEIR OF FIRE. I found another book I wanted to reread and snatched it up. A book that had been on my TBR list for months joined the other three in my basket.

This new library isn’t my old one. It will never be. But I think I just may have enough space to love both of them and (hopefully) the patience to get to know my new library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! I love comments.