Monday, August 4, 2014

MMGM: LOKI'S WOLVES

Okay, I have a confession to make.

I planned to do this book last week.

And then I didn't.

I've been failing EPICALLY lately, and I'm not really sure what to say. I've been doing a great job reading. Blogging? Not so much.

But I do have a MMGM this week! (That's worth something, right?)

Presenting...




LOKI'S WOLVES!

The second book in this series came out earlier this year and is even better.

I think I'm going to start doing my own plot summaries as well as posting Goodreads (unless I'm super busy).

Summary:

Matt Thorson is a descendent of Thor, just as Fen and Laurie Brekke are descendents of Loki. But they certainly aren't children of the gods. After all, the gods died a long time ago. But now the world is coming to its end as Ragnarok approaches. It's up to Matt, Fen, and Laurie to find the other descendents of the Norse gods so they can stand in for their great, great, great (something like that) grandparents in the final battle between gods and monsters.

Goodreads:

In Viking times, Norse myths predicted the end of the world, an event called Ragnarok, that only the gods can stop. When this apocalypse happens, the gods must battle the monsters--wolves the size of the sun, serpents that span the seabeds, all bent on destroying the world.

The gods died a long time ago.

Matt Thorsen knows every Norse myth, saga, and god as if it was family history--because it is family history. Most people in the modern-day town of Blackwell, South Dakota, in fact, are direct descendants of either Thor or Loki, including Matt's classmates Fen and Laurie Brekke.

However, knowing the legends and completely believing them are two different things. When the rune readers reveal that Ragnarok is coming and kids--led by Matt--will stand in for the gods in the final battle, he can hardly believe it. Matt, Laurie, and Fen's lives will never be the same as they race to put together an unstoppable team to prevent the end of the world.

Review:

I think the first thing you need to do is to stop comparing it to Rick Riordan's books. This book is something else. If you don't, I think you'll just find yourself disappointed. Rick is a great. It isn't fair to compare his books to anything other than the other greats like Harry Potter or Ranger's Apprentice.

This book doesn't have a lot of humor in it. The story is told from different third person perspectives (like HoO) and all the voices are very, for lack of a better word, stiff. It is as if they are myths themselves, being told by those who worship and fear the heroes.

There are pictures sprinkled throughout that add quite a bit to the story.

I feel that the characters aren't well defined in LOKI'S WOLVES, but they do grow a lot in ODIN'S RAVENS (the second book). The plot can be a little unrealistic, but you have to come up for air to realize that. And with so much action, there isn't much time to stop and take a breath.

There is a cliffhanger at the end of it, so make sure ODIN'S RAVENS is close by when you're nearing the end!

4 stars out of 5.

12 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't love this one, but it sounds like the sequel is great. Thanks for reminding me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main reason I did this is because I loved the sequel. I wanted to review that one, but felt I should tell everyone about the first book before I went there.

      Delete
  2. Love the exciting cover. It should pull a few readers in by itself. I may too take a look inside as I like to let a book stand on its own without comparison to others. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is amazing, but I've also heard of some people who bought it because of the title.

      Delete
  3. I read Loki's Wolves and I liked it and thought it was a lot of fun. I do agree with you about the second book, the characters do grow. Honestly though, I really hated the ending of Odin's Ravens which I thought was very contrived. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand why they ended it that way, but I was also upset by the way it ended.

      Delete
  4. This is the first I've seen of these books but I know some avid Norse mythology fans I'll be interested to pass them on to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been really popular with my students, and I liked it well enough. So many fantasy series, though! As for the fails, it's been that kind of summer. My daughters have been alarmed that I've been on time for things and not freakishly early as I usually am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. I had kind of forgotten about these books, but I'll put them back on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi-
    I really like your blog and I just started my own. I was wondering if you might check it out (just click on my name) or give me any tips? I just started MMGM, so hopefully that will help. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, um. Wow. Thank you. I'm still figuring this blogging out as well, but I'd love to help you out as much as I can. If you could email me at birdie.on.books@gmail.com, we could move this conversation there. How does that sound?

      Delete
    2. Sorry- I can't really email.
      But it's ok.

      Delete

Thanks! I love comments.