Monday, July 7, 2014

Review of INSIGNIA

Okay, I'm going to be honest. I'm really scared to do this review because this book is one of my all-time favorites. If you met me, you could see the love on my face and the crazy way I wave my arms when I talk about it (I'm really sorry, random dude at the bookstore I hit in the face), but this the internet and these are just words and you don't see that.

Well, I'm going to try.

(This is so very scary....)

(I don't blame you if you don't want to read this huge post, so scroll down to the bottom to get a quick summary.)






(Excuse me while I have a breakdown. I can't even look at the cover without being overcome with love for this book.)

This book is very special to me. Very, very special. It was the first book on which I wrote fan fiction.

How can one even describe the love I have for this book? Find the most mushy-gushy book about romance where the girl just melts every time she sees the guy and insert that here. Because that's how I feel.

What Goodreads has to say isn't nearly enough, but here it is:

The earth is in the middle of WWIII in Insignia, the first entry in S. J. Kincaid's fast-paced sci-fi adventure trilogy perfect for fans of Ender's Game.

The planet's natural resources are almost gone, and war is being fought to control the assets of the solar system. The enemy is winning. The salvation may be Tom Raines. Tom doesn't seem like a hero. He's a short fourteen-year-old with bad skin. But he has the virtual-reality gaming skills that make him a phenom behind the controls of the battle drones.

As a new member of the Intrasolar Forces, Tom's life completely changes. Suddenly, he's someone important. He has new opportunities, friends, and a shot at having a girlfriend. But there's a price to pay. . . .

Even Veronica Roth knows how good this book is, as she stated, "Insignia expertly combines humor with a disarming and highly realistic view of the future. The characters are real, funny, and memorable. You won't be able to put this book down." 

I have to agree with Roth on the whole "won't be able to put this book down" because I spent most of yesterday reading INSIGNIA and its squeal, VORTEX.

On the subject of the characters being real, I have wanted to be Medusa for Halloween ever since I read this book in 2012, but due to my sensitive skin, I can't handle the make-up needed. Medusa is tied with all my other all-time favorites- Nico (PJO and HoH), Piper (Girl Who Could Fly), Sophie (School of Good and Evil, KEEPER), Tobias (Animorphs), and Halt (Ranger's Apprentice). Whenever I feel like an outcast and need to be strong, I call her up in my mind. I have so much more to say, but if I do, I know it'll come out all wrong and twisted and weird, so I'm forcing myself to stop now.

Tom is such a teenage boy. He's far from perfect and he doesn't even try to pretend he is. But he is real in that way. He's gifted, but there are people who are better than he is. Wyatt is perfectly balanced with her extreme braininess and social awkwardness. Kincaid finds a way to turn Vik, a character I would otherwise completely hate, into one I enjoy reading about. The back story of each character is well planned out and they all make so much sense.

The plot is constantly in motion. It takes you places you never thought it would, into a world that is a scarily real future for our society. Tom is constantly being thrown into messes- most of which are his own doing. This adds a refreshing twist, as today most of the characters only get out of messes. He doesn't give up, a trait that helps him just as much as it hurts him. 

Kincaid writes with lots of humor. I found myself laughing out loud while reading this book, especially at Vik and Tom's shenanigans.

The story sucks you in after you read only a single paragraph. You'll be delighted by the magic this book holds.

Quite a few people have told me their video-game addicts have found a way to love reading through this book, so I would recommend it to the thirteen to sixteen video-game lover you know.

A quick summary:

  1. Out-of-this-world-stunning characters
  2. Great humor
  3. Fast-paced, unpredictable plot
  4. Awesome world building 

I have to quote my post on HOUSE OF HADES as to the score:

"I loved it. Like 12/10 loved it. If I was an English teacher and this was a creative writing assignment, that student's grade would have been 500% because of the extra credit I added to this assignment."

So what what you waiting for? Read this puppy NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! I love comments.