Monday, February 3, 2014

MMGM: FAMILY TREE: BETTER TO WISH

Happy February!

Today's MMGM is by Ann M. Martin. If her name sounds familiar, that's because she's the author of lots of books. Her most popular series is THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB.

FAMILY TREE series follows a family and four girls that are part of it. I saw the second one and it sparked my interest, so I picked up BETTER TO WISH at the library to see if it was good.

The lovely cover:




Goodreads says:
In 1930, Abby Nichols is eight, and can't imagine what her future holds. The best things today would be having a dime for the fair, keeping her Pops from being angry, and saving up eighty-seven cents to surprise her little sister with a tea set for Christmas.

But Abby's world is changing fast. Soon there will be new siblings to take care of, a new house to move into, and new friends to meet. But there will also be good-byes to say and hard choices to make. As Abby grows older, how will she decide what sort of life will fit her best?

In this incredible new series, bestselling author Ann M. Martin brings the past and the present together one girlhood at a time and shows readers the way a family grows.


My review:
This book was VERY addicting. Even the low points where interesting. I loved Abby, her friends, and her family. They were all very real to me. I also liked the realism. 

On the other hand, it was hard to follow exactly what was going on when they went from chapter to chapter. Months can go by between them, something that can be difficult to follow at certain points. I felt that some things I wanted to see resolved were not. I don't want to spoil it, so all I'll say is Fred. I also wanted to read about her whole life, not just twenty years of it. 

I would recommend it to girls who are on the border between YA and MG as there is some romance. 

3.8 stars out of 5

4 comments:

  1. The first one in this series seemed dark, which was odd because the cover made it look so happy. I'm still undecided about these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the rest of the series yet, so I really can't tell you which way to go.

      I agree with your statement about it being a little dark, but I thought it enhanced the story and made it more realistic.

      Delete
  2. I'll send your review to my 9-year-old niece to see what she thinks. Sound like one may need to read the entire series to really appreciate and you have me intrigued with 'Fred.' Thanks for featuring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my blog! You seem to be a regular, and it's great to read your comments.

      I hope your niece enjoys it!

      Delete

Thanks! I love comments.