Monday, December 2, 2013

Middle Grade Monday: A Tale Dark & Grimm

Hello all!

In case you didn't read the title, the book I'll be doing is A Tale Dark and Grimm.

It is by Adam Gidwitz.

As usual, the Goodreads thing is here.

And now for my review:

This was a recent find.  See, I had heard about it because I am a Sister's Grimm and Breadcrumbs fan and someone told me it was a lot like those two.  So I got it from the library (surprised?) along with the second one and read them. And they were awesome!

It was different from most books I've read before. The narration parts are similar to those in Storyteller by Edward Myers (awesome book, by the way).  The story was great and I loved how it was similar to the originals but different as well.   

It was great to see the fairy tale characters I had grown up with become something more and get their own story. This book was also different in the way that it was not putting a bunch of fairy tales together like The Sister's Grimm or just a redo like Breadcrumbs was. Adam took the story and extended it. He created a beginning and end to the story that we have heard many times. 

I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me of this one! I picked it up in the library, started reading it, thought it was great, and then put it down because I already had a full pile of books I was taking out. Must go back and finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending is great. I'm sorry you missed out on it.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this one too and liked its unique way of bringing fairytales to life. I just got the second one, but I haven't read it yet. Great review! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the first one is better than the second, but they are both great. Please tell me what you think of the second book!

      Delete

Thanks! I love comments.