Sunday, October 20, 2013

Middle Grade Monday: Counting By 7s

Today I've decided to change the format of my MMGM.  Hopefully, you'll like it!

This week's MMGM is Counting By 7s.


Goodreads says:

In the tradition of Out of My Mind, Wonder, and Mockingbird, this is an intensely moving middle grade novel about being an outsider, coping with loss, and discovering the true meaning of family.

Willow Chance is a twelve-year-old genius, obsessed with nature and diagnosing medical conditions, who finds it comforting to count by 7s. It has never been easy for her to connect with anyone other than her adoptive parents, but that hasn’t kept her from leading a quietly happy life . . . until now.

Suddenly Willow’s world is tragically changed when her parents both die in a car crash, leaving her alone in a baffling world. The triumph of this book is that it is not a tragedy. This extraordinarily odd, but extraordinarily endearing, girl manages to push through her grief. Her journey to find a fascinatingly diverse and fully believable surrogate family is a joy and a revelation to read.

Stars:

Goodreads: 4.35 stars out of 5

Amazon: 4.5 stars out of 5

I personally prefer rating things out of 10 rather that 5.  So I would give it a 9.65 out of ten or a 4.825 out of five.

My Summary:

Twelve-year-old Willow Chance is a genius. She likes to learn about medical conditions and loves to garden. But her life isn't exactly easy.  She has no friends and, accused of cheating on a test, is sent to see a therapist.

Her life is blown apart when her parents are killed in a car crash and she is left alone without any real friends or any family besides her grandmother, who thinks every day is Tuesday.

Searching for a place in a world she thought she knew, Willow must find a way to cope with her new situation- and, maybe, even find a way to make it out okay.

My Review: 

I am a fan of both Wonder and Out of My Mind. That's what brought me to this book. 

After reading it, I think that it isn't really like either of them. Those are about overcoming a disability. Counting By 7s is about change- extreme change that hit you out of nowhere.  It is about overcoming terrible events and learning to cope with the world.

That being said, it was very good. Not as good as Out of My Mind or Wonder, but still very well written.  I felt for Willow and wished I could help her.  The ending, in my opinion, offered not closure, but hope. It showed the path of depression without you sitting there feeling sad the whole time. I also liked how people's lives were touched and we saw how immensely powerful one person can be without knowing.

There were parts of the ending that I felt were weak and I wish those would have been more solid. Spoiler: Pattie has a boatload of cash she's been hoarding.  

 I also liked how I feel like I not only learned about people and gained an understanding of the world, but also learned random facts, like that the space between your eyebrows is called your glabella. 

I think that this would be a great book for (depending on maturity level) would be great to read once when you are eight or nine, then again when you are a tween/teen, and then one last time when you are an adult.
  
I am almost done putting something exciting together, so keep coming back to check it out! 

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this book a lot lately and it seems like one I would really enjoy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I love comments.